Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Making a Win-Win Situation

     It's easy when you deal with discipline to forget the big picture and punish students instead of helping them learn life skills.  A third-grade boy struggles with behavior in class.  He isn't a bad kid, just impulsive.  He does things to be funny, but doesn't know what to do when he goes too far.
     He's on a new behavior plan.  He helped us put it together.  When I asked him what he would like for a reward, I expected the usual - candy, more video time, etc.  I was shocked when he said, "I like to help people."
     We set up a plan for him.  He gets a sticky note in the morning and one in the afternoon.  Each note has six slits cut on it.  He gets a warning if he does something wrong, but if he continues, he loses one of his strips.  If he keeps two or more strips, he gets to help his teacher in the classroom.  If he keeps all six, he gets to help me in the office.
     Today he kept all six for the first time.  He was so proud when he came down and told me.  I helped him climb up in the display case to help me hang up a bulletin board.  As the first graders walked by and saw him, they asked why he got to be in there.  When I told them he had been very good today, they all folded their arms and said, "I'll be really good, too."
     When he finished, he delivered some cookies for a girl's birthday party, hung up hall passes, and put information in teachers' boxes.  I have never seen such a big smile as the one he had this afternoon.  It was free, it was fun, it motivated him and other students, and made him feel important.  It's so much better to find a win-win situation instead of punishing him every day for his behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment